Saturday, May 8, 2010

I'll have the Monte Cristo Sandwich...


...and one order of congestive heart failure please. That is how one should be required to order this particular entree at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland. As my husband and I just returned from two wonderful days at the park, I cal tell you this: we walked over 5 miles both days, and I have still gained approximately 27lbs from this sandwich. So why, why on earth would I order such a health risk? It. Tastes. Like. Heaven. I figure, I have this sandwich about once every 3 years, which gives my arteries just about enough time to recover from the damage they sustain every time.

I generally like to keep the recipes on here under about 600 calories a serving. WARNING: The Monte Cristo plate is roughly 1388563239 calories per serving - but worth it, unless your name is Jillian Michaels. If you are not from or have never visited the South, and thus have no knowledge of the Monte Cristo, here's the jist: thinly sliced ham and turkey, and liberal amounts of swiss cheese, layered between two slices of Texas toast and deep fried. In fact, the recipe is so easy I should just call this post finished... However, there are some finer points to perfect Southern Cooking so, here I go!

It is possible to fix restaurant quality food at home, I've made the sandwich at home before, and while it can be quite messy (picture a large grease fire and me with no eyebrows...), the sandwich is worth the effort.

Ingredients:

6 thin slices of oven roasted Turkey Breast

6 thin slices of Honeybaked Ham

6 slices of Swiss Cheese (notice I left off the "thin" qualifier? ALWAYS go liberal with cheese)

12 slices of Texas Toast (use nice thick white bread, people!)

Powdered Sugar and Honey for garnish

1.5 cups Flour

1 tsp. Baking Powder

0.5 tsp. Salt

1.5 cups Water

1 Egg, beaten

Hot Oil for frying

Toothpicks


Here's what I did:

1. Prepare batter by sifting Flour, Baking Powder and Salt together. Add Water and Egg to dry ingredients and mix well.

2. Prepare sandwiches for frying by layering the meat and cheese between the two bread slices.

3. Cut the sandwiches into 4 triangles. Using the toothpicks, place one or two through each triangle to hold the "sandwich-ettes" together.

4. CAREFULLY dip the triangles completely into the batter, remove, and fry in hot oil at 360 degrees until golden brown.

5. Remove sandwich-ettes from hot oil, pat dry, sprinkle with powdered sugar, drizzle with honey, and serve.


I personally reccomend serving them with grape jam for dipping (as do many other cooks), and also a side of Garlic Grilled Asparagus (I feel another post coming on!!). They also make a GREAT after-thanksgiving recipe. Lord knows I had ham, turkey and bread coming out my ears last year! And while it might cause your early death, the Monte Cristo Sandwich will certainly make your mouth happy! And that, ladies and gentlemen is what's on our Kitchen Table for Two once every 4 years =)

1 comment:

  1. Haha, this made me laugh. I've never had one before... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete