Monday, September 12, 2011

Over the microwave... finally

Finally!  After over a week (I'm sure you're been on pins and needles ;)), I bring you the super excting use of my blue fabric, and the solution to my over the microwave troubles.  See, when we moved in the kitchen looked like this...


Classy, eh??  When we replaced the stove with a stainless model, we decided we'd get the microwave too (hooray for Black Friday sales!!).  Only problem?  When we installed the microwave above the stove, it was a whopping 7 inches above the top of the stove... whoops!!

Since we were just starting to paint the cabinets we decided to yank out the two tiny cabinets above the vent and mount the microwave at a reasonable height above the stove.  We gave some thought to having the cabinets cut down, but it seemed like a really daunting and expensive task, as far we could see.  Our solution?  Tack a towel up there.  Yep.


That's right, friends, that's a flour sack towel.  And fingerprints on my microwave.  And a terrible flash.  Just keepin' it real =)  Needless to say, I needed a permanent solution.  We would have liked to put up a permanent "fake cabinet," but apparently you need to have access to the vent?  This was something I didn't know until my hubby broke the news.  Enter this fabric...


My lovely friend Rachel gifted a few yards of this fabric (Waverly?  But not sure).  I love that bamboo-ish look and the deep blue, which was a perfect accent color in our kitchen!  Here we are now...


Yippee!!  What do you think?  This is semi-permanently mounted into the space left by the cabinets, so that we still have access to the vent, and so that I can change it, if I feel like it.  But, I don't think I'll be changing it any time soon - I love it!    I L-O-V-E love it so much that I'm planning on making a valence for out kitchen window...


Dirty kitchen counters aside, what do you think?  I've never made a valence before, but I think I could find a blogger or two with a good tutorial.  Any to suggest?  I know Cassie at Hi Sugarplum has a window box tutorial that I'm anxious to look at. 

So, do you like it?  I think it's a pretty nice improvement.  Here's the before...


And after...


Yay for friends and fabric!  Have a happy Monday, friends!

2 comments: