Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lazy Susan makeover & chevron stipe tutorial

Remember how I told you I'm addicted to projects?  Well, once I started this one, I just couldn't stop!  We went camping this past weekend, and the moment I got home I started taping and measuring my Lazy Susan.  I'm sick, I tell you. S-I-C-K sick.

This Lazy Susan began its' life as a $7 IKEA piece...


And after seeing so many amazing chevron patterns all over the blog-o-shpere, I wanted a little piece of the lovely in my home.  I decided on lime green and white chevron stripes, so I began by spray painting the entire piece with Rust-oleum Painters Touch in Glossy Key Lime...

 
My college calculus work makes an appearance again on my ghetto outdoor project table.



Once I had spray painted the whole thing green, I had to leave on vacation =( At least I had something to look forward to when I got home!

Once I got home, the hard part began.  I know there are a million tutorials out there on how to make the perfect chevron stripe, but somehow, they all still seemed super complicated.  So I tried my own idea.  Maybe it will be helpful for you too?

First I taped a succession of paralell lines with my painters tape all about an inch apart, since my painter's tape was one inch wide.  I eyeballed the distance, and made sure to leave myself plenty of spare tape to wrap over the curved edges of the Lazy Susan.


You can see that once I had taped all of my pieces going one direction, I decided on an angle for my chevron peaks (around 110 degrees, just a bit larger than a right angle - can you tell I love math??) and started taping yet another set of equidistant parallel lines...


Until it looked like a pie out of a Dr. Suess book.  From here, I chose one "path" to be my first chevron, and started peeling back the tape...


I was careful to make sure the edges were VERY crisp, and the tape was taped down TIGHT, so as to avoid and  the bleeding and fuzziness, as there can sometimes be with some spray paint jobs.  I continued peeling back every other "path" until I was left with nice, clean chevrons...


 (excuse my crap all over the table, I'm a project fiend and I can't be bothered with cleaning up my table/I am lazy)

When you're done, fold the edges of the tape under the Lazy Susan and make sure they are tight!  Mine looked like this...

Once I was all taped and ready, I needed a few coats of this...


After pulling up the tape while the paint was still tacky (pretty much immediately after I finished spraying it), getting paint all OVER my hands, and letting it dry for 24 hours, I had this beauty...


Yes I did take a picture of it on my floor.  It looked better in the picture than the table top.  Feel free to judge me. =) 


I love how it looks on our table - it adds a great pop of color, not to mention a ton of fun to our dinners.  And the stripes came out perfectly crisp!


I can't have imagined it coming out better.  Wouldn't you say this Lazy Susan went from drab to fab? (<-can't BELIEVE I just said that!)


Spray painting win!!  I'm so excited, I LOVE how it looks!  Have you attempted any spray painting this summer?  Are you liking your results?  I know I love mine.  Stay tuned tomorrow for my laundry room re-organization. I'm a woman on a project mission, people!  Happy Tuesday, friends! =)

Linking to Home Stories A to Z, and here:

Young House Love

Tip Junkie handmade projects

HookingupwithHoH


Somewhat Simple

37 comments:

  1. You couldn't be more right, from drab to fab! (c: Isn't that just fun to say??? And I really like the tutorial on the chevron...I always need all the help I can get! Glad I linked up to Elizabeth's PAR-TAY so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out fabulous! love the colors.Thanks for visiting following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THat looks amazing! What a beautiful but seemingly easy DIY. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  4. SPECTACULAR! I love everything--from the colors to your technique! I really need to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am visiting from the Mustard Ceiling. What a cute makeover and great chevron tutorial. I'm hosting my first link party and would love if you would join us. http://savedbysuzy.blogspot.com/2011/07/linky-time-suzys-house-party-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm sorry I couldn't get the thumbnail pics for this linky party...next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Job, I love your method....makes me want to try that on something. hmmmmm. Thinking what I could paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, guys! Thanks for all the love! =) It was a really fun project and you all should try it (and post the results, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome makeover! I love how the lazy susan turned out! Would you believe I tried this very same treatment on a little desk with frog tape and it turned out terrible??? I was so MAD! Lesson learned - use the blue stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so interesting - I had heard that Frog tape was far superior and was considering switching. Glad to hear I can stay with the good ole' blue stuff =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The table top looks amazing. I liked your choice of colors.

    -Tanya
    http://www.tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so grateful that you linked up in this week's Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :) This awesome post totally rocked the party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this,....great color and tutorial! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out so great! I'm thinking I need a chevron striped lazy susan now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great minds must think alike!! I made a chevron lazy susan that I'm posting on Monday. Just saw this and love yours!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling! Loved the tutorial on how to get perfect chevrons... I have a feeling there is blue tape and spray paint in my weekend plans now!
    Great job! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a clever way to make the chevron pattern!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE it!!! I die for all things chevron, and this is such a cute idea! Now I want one :)

    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful Lazy Susan! in my free time I have made a couple but they have never looked this good! I will Definitely be back to see some more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! Thanks so much for the fabulous chevron painting tutorial... you make it look so easy!

    I just wanted to let you know that I featured your project on my 13 DIY Green Projects post this evening. You can check it out here:

    http://www.thecolorfulones.com/2012/05/inspirations-13-diy-green-projects.html

    Thanks, and God Bless!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! I am doing a small table following your tips and I just was wondering the best way to start your "path" and to get the tape off evenly? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks awesome!!!! Thinking about doing my whole kitchen tabletop chevron. Love your method :) So how long did you wait to peel the tape off after spray painting?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found your post on Pinterest and I have to say, so clever! I am having an i heart {chevron} party on August 5 and you should totally link up. :) I'm going to go browse through the rest of your blog now. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wish there was a prize for this. Seriously. You have no idea how many people have asked me how to paint chevron stripes. Me? never tried them. But now, seeing this, I think I'll have to give it a whirl.

    (btw, I was terrible at math. Oh, got good grades, but just from doing homework. Had no idea what I was doing and still don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I.love.this. Seriously great tutorial, now I'm trying to think of something in my house that I can paint a chevron on :)!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not sure I exactly understand the "peel back" part -- were you cutting the pieces of tape away with the scissors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused about thus step as well.

      Delete
    2. I'm also confused at this point..

      Delete
  28. Here's a handy tip: when you get all the taping done, paint the edges the green color (or whatever your background color is). What happens is the green will fill the gaps in the tape so now when you paint the white stripes, the nooks and crannies are already filled with your back ground color so no white bleeding! easy peezy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This technique does not work well on a canvas, the lines that she described make the chevron, but when peeling the tape back she turned the lazy susan sideways to cut the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Do you cut the tape with a box blade (razor) or just peel back the tape and cut with scissors?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok...you had me up to the "can you tell I love math" statement all of a sudden I was cross-eyed. Trying to figure out what you did. It became very complicated because I have a math phobia. But I liked your tape idea and persisted. I was looking so hard at your layout then it hit me you don't have the project laying the same in each photo. Ok now I get it. See you just got me scared of a little math. Thanks...I think..Ha..I'm more of a see it do it person no math needed or at least shall I say, keep it a secret (shhhh) let me think there is no math. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Turned out great and i love the colors. One question,as you were peeling back were you cutting with scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You saved my chevron project with this tip, thank you! I used an exacto knife to score and peel back the tape as I created the chevrons, for anyone interested. You get a nice, clean cut that way.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I dont get it after you said you started pealing back the tape. Could you please explain.

    ReplyDelete