Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bookends

No, not the Simon and Garfunkel song (anyone know what I'm talking about?  Time it was and what a time it was it was...), actual bookends - they were my mystery project!  Here they are after I purchased them for $12 at Homegoods...


Crazy bright, right?!  They aren't real coral of course, they're plaster or something (<-specific, huh?), and the paint job was less than ideal.  However, they do resemble these...


365 bones!  Whew, glad mine were cheaper, but I do love that Lucite base - gorgeous.  While the coral color is great, it doesn't go one tiny bit with my home, so I decided to get my spray paint on again...


 Still learning how to use this new camera, so it's a little scary with the Edward Scisorhands flash shadow, but I love the color!  I used the bookends to create a bookshelf across the top of our IKEA Expedit entertainment center...


I was inspired by the many pictures of bookshelves organized by color, so I made my own!  Please resist the urge to make fun of my poorly styled expedit shelves, I'm working on them (does anyone else find styling shelves horribly difficult??).  But you can see my little white elephant if you look closely!


Here's the full picture (and  Rick Steve's Europe episode about Norway - love that show!)...


In case you're wondering why i have a bright orange sticky not on my shelves, it reads: "I love you April Cylwik."  Eric put them up before we got married so I would come home to them.  More than two years later and I still won't take them down, now that's love! =)  Also, we have a yard gnome named "Gnorbert," can you see him?  Yep, we're just that classy.

So, what do you think?  Good idea, or should I have left them red?  I'm enjoying the books atop the entertainment center, it was looking a little naked before.  Now I just need to style the rest of the shelves and finish learning how to use this camera.  Tomorrow I'll share my sweet little table makeover with you - I'm so excited about it!!  Have a happy Tuesday, friends!

5 comments:

  1. Oooo, I like the blue! And the rainbow book organization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the bookends! I've been looking for some at homegoods for MONTHS and never came across anything as cute as those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! They add so much color & brightness to the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a labor of love! Thanks for linking up this awesome post at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I love them!! I also love how your books are organized by color!! I hope you will link up here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/08/sweet-saturday-v1.html

    ReplyDelete